Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director and in accordance with the mission, character development and values of the YMCA, the Swim Instructor will teach quality lessons to participants concentrating on the YMCA’s five areas of growth; personal safety, stroke development, water safety and rescue, personal growth, and water sports and games. Swim Instructor is expected to emphasize member service, character development, the mission statement, and to work with membership retention and promotion.
- Contribute to the overall YMCA mission of healthy living, youth development and social responsibility.
- Enforce all posted rules and any other rules that are required to ensure the safety of all participants.
- Teach swim lessons to participants at appropriate age levels, per national guidelines of course levels and ratios.
- Plan lessons for classes, be well prepared for lesson.
- Responsible for set up and tear down of lessons (includes all utilized equipment).
- Take attendance at all classes.
- Responsible for updating all areas and certifications through the YMCA training certification program as needed for position.
- Responsible to assist in the cleanliness of the pool and reporting any maintenance needs.
- Be a team player with all staff.
- Must participate in the annual mission campaign as assigned.
- May be asked to participate in special events within the Aquatics Department and throughout the facility.
- Must be 16 years of age.
- American Safety and Health Institute certifications:
- Current First Aid.
- Current CPRPro (includes AED).
- Current Emergency Oxygen.
- YMCA Swim Lessons Instructor.
- Must be able to relate and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner.