West Fargo Flyers Swim Club
Head Coach, Full Time
This is a full-time year-round position on a parent (501c3) board club. West Fargo is on the eastern border of ND in a community of approximately 250,000. We currently have ~200 swimmers with seasons running from mid-Sept through March and May through July. In November of 2017 we moved into the Hulbert Aquatic Center which houses a 10 lane 50M x 25Y pool competition pool with depth ranging from 7’-14’. There is a separate 6 lane 25y warm water lessons pool. Hulbert Aquatic Center is owned by West Fargo Public Schools and is also home to three high school teams in the district.
We are seeking an experienced, organized, and positive Head Coach to help bring our club to the next level. You will be working with the coaching staff to develop a program that will create a solid foundation for age group athletes, while increasing our senior swimming success. You must possess a high degree of emotional maturity, work to motivate children with varied attributes and skill levels, and foster strong communication with parents. You must have a strong desire to create a positive training environment for all athletes to achieve success in the pool and life and be willing to grow to make this your ultimate goal for yourself, your staff, and the team. You will directly coach at least one group. You may focus on the level of your choice: Senior/National or Age-Group. A Lead Assistant Coach is also being sought to work with the Head Coach to lead the other level(s).
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, providing outstanding service through positive personal interactions and the overall management of the West Fargo Flyers Swim Team programs. This will include assisting in program development and administration, personnel supervision, and equipment recommendations. Position is approximately 40 hours per week, depending on practice/meet schedules and administrative needs.
- Team leader, coordinator, ambassador and swimming subject matter expert
- Ability to demonstrate mature judgment, reliability, availability, and ethical behavior including punctuality, confidentiality, positive and constructive feedback, and ability to function in a multi-task environment
- Ability to meet all USA Swimming certification and coaching requirements (CPR, Safety Training for Swim Coaches, USA Swimming Background Check, Athlete Protection, Lifeguard, First Aid, Concussion, etc.)
- Create and promote a vision and strategy for growth, in collaboration with the Board of Directors and lead coach
- Perform various administrative tasks relating to the team (year round)
- Attend monthly board meetings
- Build relationships with local school districts and aquatic staffs (pool/lane rental schedules)
- Participate in club activities and social events
- Maintain the team website and social media presence
- Ensure proper staffing for all meets during the season
- Administer swim meet entries
- Athlete development
- Emphasize proper stroke technique, and understand the progression for each training group
- Plan, prepare, and conduct team practices based on pre-developed annual training vision
- Positively and constructively communicate and motivate children with the ability to consider varied social, emotional and physical attributes
- Manage, observe, and constructively evaluate athlete performance at practices and meets to enhance technique and motivation
- Work directly instructing athletes of all ages/abilities
- Family engagement
- Take proactive steps to communicate/educate parents about club policies, procedures, stroke technique, meet entry, and registration
- Attend monthly parent meetings
- Manage, develop and schedule Assistant Coaches
- Determine best fit coaching schedule and training group(s) for each Assistant Coach, aligning the full team of coaches
- Ensure all assistant coach certifications are maintained and current
- Supervise and develop coaching staff, both on an individual basis and to work cohesively as a team
Minimum Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years competitive swim coaching experience and coaching membership that is in good standing with USA Swimming
- Demonstrated ability to work well and communicate effectively with athletes of all ages/abilities, staff and administrators
- Computer proficiency, including email, internet navigation, Excel, Word, Meet Manager, Team Unify Back Office, and Deck Pass
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Enthusiasm for continuing coaching education
- Experienced with USA Swimming OME, TeamUnify, HY-TEK
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in sports management or education preferred; experience can stand in place of this requirement.
- Advanced experience coaching various ages and skill levels in a competitive environment
- LSC leadership experience as either a board or committee member
- Experience with dryland training and nutrition
- This is a salaried Head Coach position with our club. Compensation will be competitive to market and will be reflective of experience and qualifications.
- Team pays for all credentials for USA Swimming requirements.
- An education training budget is provided for coaches.
- Interested applicants should submit to WFF Board Coaches Committee (email@example.com). Applications submitted by August 1, 2020 will receive priority review from the Coaches Committee. Anticipated start date is September 2020. The position shall remain open until filled.
A complete application consists of:
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the applicant is prepared to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
- Statement describing the applicant’s coaching philosophy
- Current resume
- List of three current references with contact information
- Salary expectations