West Fargo Flyers Swim Club
Lead Assistant Coach, Part Time
This is a part-time year-round position on a parent (501c3) board club. West Fargo is on the eastern border of ND in a community of approximately 250,000. We currently have ~200 swimmers with seasons running from mid-Sept through March and May through July. In November of 2017 we moved into the Hulbert Aquatic Center which houses a 10 lane 50M x 25Y pool competition pool with depth ranging from 7’-14’. There is a separate 6 lane 25y warm water lessons pool. Hulbert Aquatic Center is owned by West Fargo Public Schools and is also home to three high school teams in the district.
We are seeking an experienced, organized, and positive Lead Assistant Coach to work with our Head Coach to help bring our club to the next level. You will assist the Head Coach with the coaching staff to develop a program that will create a solid foundation for age group athletes, while increasing our senior swimming success. You must have a strong desire to create a positive training environment for all athletes to achieve success in the pool.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, providing outstanding service through positive personal interactions, leading the coaching staff on the groups assigned by the Head Coach, and assisting with the management of those programs. Position is approximately 15-20 hours per week, depending on practice/meet schedules and administrative needs.
- Team leader, coordinator, ambassador and swimming subject matter expert
- Ability to demonstrate mature judgment, reliability, availability, and ethical behavior including punctuality, confidentiality, positive and constructive feedback, and ability to function in a multi-task environment
- Ability to meet all USA Swimming certification and coaching requirements (CPR, Safety Training for Swim Coaches, USA Swimming Background Check, Athlete Protection, Lifeguard, First Aid, Concussion, etc.)
- Participate in the vision and strategy for growth, along with the Board of Directors and Head coach
- Attend meets (1-3 per month) during season.
- Perform various administrative tasks relating to assigned swim group (year round)
- Attend monthly board meetings if Head Coach not available
- Participate in club activities and social events
- Athlete development
- Emphasize proper stroke technique and understand the progression for each training group
- Plan, prepare, and conduct team practices based on pre-developed annual training vision
- Positively and constructively communicate and motivate children with the ability to consider varied social, emotional and physical attributes
- Manage, observe, and constructively evaluate athlete performance at practices and meets to enhance technique and motivation
- Work directly instructing athletes of all ages/abilities
- Family engagement
- Take proactive steps to communicate/educate parents about club policies, procedures, stroke technique, meet entry, and registration
- Attend monthly parent meetings if requested or if Head Coach not available
Minimum and Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- 3+ years competitive swim coaching experience and coaching membership that is in good standing with USA Swimming
- Demonstrated ability to work well and communicate effectively with athletes of all ages/abilities, staff and administrators
- Computer proficiency, including email, internet navigation, Excel, Word, and willingness to learn Meet Manager, Team Unify Back Office, and Deck Pass
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Enthusiasm for continuing coaching education
- Advanced experience coaching various ages and skill levels in a competitive environment
- Experience with dryland training and nutrition
- Experience coaching other sports
- This is a salaried lead position with our club. Compensation will be competitive to market and will be reflective of experience and qualifications.
- Team pays for all credentials for USA Swimming requirements.
- Interested applicants should submit to WFF Board Coaches Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications submitted by August 10, 2020 will receive priority review from the Coaches committee. Anticipated start date is September 2020. The position shall remain open until filled.
A complete application consists of:
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the applicant is prepared to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
- Statement describing the applicant’s coaching philosophy
- Current resume
- List of three current references with contact information