La Grande Swim Club
Head Coach Job Description
The La Grande Swim Club is soliciting applications for a part-time Head Swim Coach.
La Grande is a thriving community (12,000 population) located in the Grande Ronde Valley of Northeast Oregon. La Grande is home to Eastern Oregon University, the only 4-year institution in eastern Oregon. Outdoor recreation abounds in the beautiful rivers, lakes, valleys, and mountains surrounding La Grande. La Grande Swim Club has had a tradition for over 50 years of individual/team success and character development of young athletes. Currently there are 60-90 swimmers depending upon the time of year, ranging in age from 6-18. Training occurs at the Veteran’s Memorial Pool in La Grande. The pool is an eight lane, 25 yard indoor pool with an electronic timing system. The non-profit club is governed by a board of directors consisting of team parents. The coach serves at the pleasure of the board.
- training appropriate for children ages 6-18
- the instruction of skill and technique appropriate to the level of the swimmer
- organization and supervision of practice sessions (including swimmers and assistant coaches)
- setting team goals for each season
- providing a nurturing athletic environment for the advancement of each individual
- determining meet entries for all team-sanctioned meets
- maintaining communication between coach and athlete and coach and parent regarding swim training and competition
- interacting with the league officials and coaches as necessary
- recruiting Assistant Coaches (as necessary).
- attending swim meets and league sanctioned meetings
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- USA Swimming coach certifications
- ASCA certification preferred, but not required depending upon qualifications and experience
- Possess knowledge of technical and training aspects of competitive swimming
- Ability to communicate with swimmers, families, and staff in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Must pass all background checks
- Experience coaching in competitive swimming
- Ability to scale practice for both recreational swimmers and competitive swimmers
- Must have valid Drivers License
- Need to be able to provide your own transportation to and from swim meets.
There is also potential for developing a Masters swimming program, private swimming lessons, and other community aquatic programs.
For more information please contact: Tatiana Ricker at TatiaRick27@gmail.com
To apply: send application letter, resume, and contact information for at least two references to: Tatiana Ricker at