South Carolina Swim Club (SCSC) seeks a highly qualified individual for the position of Head Swim Coach/Executive Director. SCSC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded in 2006 as the Mount Pleasant Swim Parents Association and is a parent-governed USA Swimming Club. Located in the greater Charleston area, SCSC is a nationally recognized club with more than 375 USA Swimming registered swimmers who train at 4 sites offering both 50m and 25yd pool options. The organization has 9 full-time employees and a team of highly skilled part-time coaches. SCSC athletes have become successful swimmers and young adults due to their commitment, hard work and goal setting learned through the program. Dedicated to building a high performance and comprehensive swim program by cultivating excellence in student-athletes at all levels, the organization has experienced growth and is poised for significant growth across the Charleston region and for the expansion of opportunities to further its impact on the swimming communities in the Lowcountry area.
- Promotes and encourages a positive, progressive, inclusive, supportive and winning culture while being an omnipresent leader, serving as a Coach to Coaches and the Head Coach for the entire competitive team.
- Serves as the primary SCSC coaching point of contact for team coaches, the community, SC Swimming, and USA Swimming.
- Communicates the SCSC vision and administrative details to competitive team members and families.
- Ensures competitive swimmers are registered with USA Swimming and ensures SCSC operates in compliance with USA Swimming policy and procedures as well as SCSC policy and procedure.
- Maintains a healthy professional relationship with the Board and collaborates on strategic planning, marketing, vision, communication, goals, fundraising endeavors and other key initiatives.
- Collaborates with and reports to the President of the SCSC Board of Directors; serves on the Board and attends and provides reports at meetings.
- Serves on the finance committee including regular review of program finances and aid in the preparation and presentation of the team’s annual budget proposal.
- Recruit, retain, supervise, and mentor productive and effective coaching and instructional staff; conducts goal setting meetings, observes, and provides feedback to staff on a regular basis; plans and encourages continuing education opportunities at all levels.
- Creates and ensures implementation of a hiring orientation program for all coaches; complies and ensures club compliance with USA Swimming and SCSC policies (background checks, etc.).
Requests and secures adequate pool space to run the necessary programs, practices, clinics, camps, events, and meets; coordinates with vendors and partners to establish and maintain
- safe environments for SCSC members, volunteers, and guests at SCSC programs, practices, clinics, camps, events, and meets.
- Oversees the maintenance of the updated team roster and all meet results employing current team software.
- American Swim Coaches Association (ASCA) - Certification Level 4 or equivalent experience.
- Bachelor's Degree (required).
- Membership in USA Swimming, Inc.
- Current American Red Cross CPR, First Aid, Life Guarding, Life Guarding Instructor, CPR and WSI Instructor Certifications.
- Passion for swimming with a proven record as a coach with 4+ years of top-level experience (Age Group Division HC, Club HC, or above) with strong preference for USA Swimming Senior National or Junior National level OR coaching at NCAA Division I championship level.
- Sound technical understanding of swimming and documented high performance results verified by performance; recognized in the swimming field as an exceptional coach; believes in a process for swimmer development, committed to curriculum development.
- Knowledge and management of hosting, bidding for and pursuing meets throughout the year.
- High level of integrity paired with a favorable reputation in the swimming community.
- High level of engagement and omnipresence across locations and events; demonstrated self-awareness – recognizing emotions, strengths, challenges, drive, values, and goals; with an empathetic and highly relational skill set. Head coach for all.
- Self-motivated and holds self and others to high standards, fosters a culture of accountability that rewards success and mentors for areas needing improvement.
- Highly collaborative and committed to a team atmosphere rather than individual achievement.
- Works closely with the Board of Directors and coaching staff to establish and implement the vision of SCSC’s competitive team.
- Innovative and brings new ideas to transform and grow the club.
- Experience managing and mentoring/developing coaching staff; committed to the hiring and development of excellent coaches with recognition for their achievements; values the success of others.
- Ability to manage, lead and coordinate multiple sites and programming.
- Strong relationships with ASCA, USA Swimming and Local Swim Clubs and SCSC facility directors and staff.
- Provide guidance and support to athletes during the college recruiting process.
- Participation in clinics and other continuing education opportunities for purposes of learning new instruction techniques and best practices regarding swim team management.
*Competitive salary, incentive plans and bonus opportunities.
Please submit (via email) (1) resume, (2) three current references with contact information, (3) statement of coaching philosophy and (4) salary expectations. Contact is Allison Burke Thompson, President SCSC/Email: President@swimscsc.com.