Compensation: $30,000 – $40,000 / annually (Tacoma is least expensive port city in the West.)
Metro Aquatics is searching for an enthusiastic and dedicated Lead Senior Coach to work with our High School, Sectional, and Elite Racing Team groups. The Lead Senior Coach will work closely alongside the Head Coach and must be capable of autonomously running each aspect of the senior program.
Metro Aquatics is part of the Metro Parks Tacoma swim teams program, which serves over 400 swimmers (10% African American/Black; 18% Latino/Hispanic; 22% Asian; and 48% white). 40% of our team members qualify for free/reduced lunch. The Lead Senior Coach must be capable of creating a positive and inclusive environment that welcomes youth from ethnically diverse and resource-challenged populations. Our mission for senior coaching to assist all swimmers in identifying and achieving success, whatever success means for each individual.
In the performance of respective tasks and duties all Metro Aquatics coaches are expected to:
- Maintain a positive attitude and set an example of good sportsmanship.
- Have excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Build community enthusiasm and team camaraderie.
- Ensure athlete retention and participation in selected meets and team events.
- Emphasize proper technique and conditioning.
- Motivate swimmers in a positive manner.
- Resolve conflicts in a professional, tactful manner.
- Prove to be highly punctual.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner in the pool and in the community.
- Support the mission and philosophies of Metro Parks Tacoma.
- Ensure swim team and other aquatic program participants’ safety and wellbeing.
- Assist Head Swim Coach in determining senior competition and practice schedules.
- Assist Head Swim Coach in developing training group guidelines for senior program.
- Assist Head Swim Coach with implementation of all senior program goals and curriculum.
- Assist the Head Swim Coach in overseeing meet registration process for senior swimmers.
- Adequate coaching and/or swimming experience. Inexperienced coaches with good character references are encouraged to apply.
- Membership in good standing of USA Swimming and certifications in AED, CPR, First Aid and Lifeguard Training.
- Must be able to have a Washington State drivers license within 6 months of starting.
- Must be able to travel to meets.
- Must be able to work irregular work hours, with some weeks working in excess of a 40-hours.
- Must have visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
- Must be organized, observant of deadlines, and have excellent communication skills with supervisor, parents and students
- This position is considered part-time and offers retirement but no medical benefits.
All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to age, color, national origin, citizenship status, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Metro Aquatics is an established safe zone for all staff and participants.