Assistant Men’s and Women’s Swimming Coach will assist the Head Coach with all areas associated with the swimming program including: practice preparation and implementation; meet management; student-athlete recruitment and retention; coordination of team travel; dryland preparation and implementation; and community engagement.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following functions, which are not listed in any particular order of importance or significance:
- Recruits qualified student-athletes for admission to a rigorous academic environment and assist in all areas of recruiting.
- Assist head coach with practice implementation of assigned groups.
- Observes all conference, NCAA and university rules and regulations.
- Assists head coach with team travel arrangements including accommodations and meals.
- Assists in coordination of meet management for all home dual meets.
- Assist head coach with preparation and implementation of swimming specific strength and conditioning program.
- Provides leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student-athletes, including counseling team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters.
- Teaches sport skills, strategies and philosophy as well as sportsmanship.
- Assists program with the Willamette University Swim School as needed.
- Participates in department and Division planning and staff meetings when available, representing the swimming program and/or Willamette athletic department.
- Work collaboratively with all coaches and administrative staff within the athletics program to enhance overall department operation and student-athlete experience.
- Additional administrative responsibilities and duties will be assigned by the Head Swimming Coach or the Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent required.
- Experience coaching swimming at the college, high school or club level.
- Knowledge of all applicable NCAA Division III and Conference rules as they apply to swimming.
- Must be able to successfully articulate the values of a liberal arts education and the role intercollegiate athletics plays in the development of student athletes.
- Ability to recruit outstanding student-athletes to a strong academic environment.
- Possess strong leadership, organizational, communication and management skills; serves as a role model for student-athletes. Ability to effectively teach and coach students in both an individual and team setting.
- Must demonstrate strong communication and organizational skills and must be able to work effectively with staff, faculty and other members of the University.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both orally and in writing, including the ability to communicate instructions pertaining to athletic matters in an athletic coaching setting.
- Ability to execute those physical activities required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Knowledge of and ability to use computers and basic office software.
- Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people in a manner that positively portrays the University and its programs, personnel, and philosophies.
- Must possess a current driver’s license valid in the state of Oregon or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire date and satisfactory driving record insurable by the University’s insurer.
- Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain harmonious relations with other staff, faculty and students.
- Successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check.
- Collegiate playing experience.
- Experience coaching at the collegiate level.
- Knowledge of a variety of software applications such as Meet Manager, Team Manager and the Colorado Timing system.
- Familiarity with ARMS recruiting software and usage as relates to recruiting and compliance.
Applications, including current resume and cover letter, must be submitted online at http://willamette.edu/offices/hr/careers/index.html.
This position is open until filled.
For questions please contact:
Head Men’s & Women’s Swimming Coach