At the YMCA of Greater Boston, Water Fitness Instructors teach classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that welcomes all skill and fitness level while effectively building community within class. Instructors modify classes as needed to meet varied health, ability and cultural needs.
The YMCA is actively seeking a water fitness instructor who can be a leader in developing sound healthy habits with our members through engaging leadership in our classes. We are currently accepting applicants for all varieties of water fitness offerings as we continue to build the offerings to meet the needs of our growing members. We welcome Shallow Water, Deep Water, Arthritis, High Intensity, Therapy and all specialized licensed Aquatic Modalities.
The qualified candidate will have the ability to lead a group of participants through a series of movements and exercises in a safe and effective manner and must hold a current certification in Group Exercise from a nationally certifying body, such as AEA, SCW & USWF.
1. Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
2. Asks and answers questions from program participants and members to support them in achieving their goals related to health and well-being.
3. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
4. Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members and program participants connect with each other and the YMCA.
5. Observes and adjusts approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
6. Celebrates achievement of program participants related to program or personal goals, mastering of specific skills or overall health and well-being.
7. Keeps accurate class attendance records.
8. Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
Education & Experience:
Nationally Ranked Water Fitness Certs Accepted:
Instructors with Land Base Group Exercise Certification & Aqua Continuing Education:
Specialty certifications may be taught with accrediting and active license. A pre-rec of AEA will not be required (though strongly encouraged) but the candidate will not be eligible to sub other formats. Instructors may only teach in the format they are licensed in. Accepted Specialty Certs include: Aqua Zumba, Aqualogix, Aqua Body Strong, Aquastrength, Glide Fit, Hydro Pilates, Aqua Drums, Hydro Pole, Hydro Rider, Lablast Splash, Wet Barre
Skills and Competencies: