Under general supervision from the Pool Manager, the Assistant Pool Manager provides daily operation, supervision and maintenance of the Kennedy swimming pool.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Assist with the training, supervising and evaluating lifeguards/swim instructors, front desk cashiers.
- Implement staff schedules, lifeguard rotation schedule and daily assignments.
- Assist with the program planning and in-service training sessions and participate in life-saving skill practices.
- Monitor activities, provide instructions and prevent accidents in the aquatics facility.
- Respond appropriately to swimmers in danger of drowning and to all illness and injury accidents around the entire aquatics facility immediately and appropriately. This includes, but is not limited to performing Lifeguarding skills, First Aid, CPR, and other until arrival of emergency medical services.
- Record and organize accurate records concerning attendance, daily log, accident/incident/injury reports, chemicals readings, and schedules.
- Assist Manager in performance evaluations on all employees at the facility.
- Handle routine disciplinary issues and communicate with the Pool Manager when necessary.
- Maintain a clean, safe and orderly facility. Administer pump room procedures including chemical readings, balancing and filtration. Inspect facility regularly and report any unsafe conditions/equipment to manager immediately.
- Assist with planning, attend and participate in all mandatory staff meetings and trainings.
- Promote aquatic and Parks & Recreation programing.
- Maintain open communication with guests, participants and/or participants parents, and other aquatics staff.
- Set up and clean up the facility daily.
- Enforce all aquatics facility rules, policies, and procedures.
- Manage swim instructors during swim lessons. When necessary instruct swimming lessons for participants of all ages.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, including abiding to uniform requirements.
- Assume full management responsibilities of the aquatics facility in the absence of the Pool Manager.
- Complete additional duties assigned by manager or Director of Parks & Recreation.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or any equivalent of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Strong managerial, supervisory, interpersonal and communications skills. Experience with municipal government process and procedures.
- Experience with educational institutions preferred.
- Good knowledge of: lifeguarding, safety, and health codes for public swimming pools; safety procedures for storing, handling, and using toxic or hazardous chemicals.
- A thorough knowledge of the laws and rules established by regulatory bodies regarding pool operation.
- Understanding of current codes and practices established by Health Codes and national aquatic certification agencies. Must be at least 21 years old. Must have at least 3 years of pool experience.
- Certifications/Licenses: Valid driver’s license. Current Lifeguarding/First Aid/AED. Lifeguard Instructor, Water Safety instructor, and Certified Pool Operator certification required.
This is a safety-sensitive position. Must successfully pass a driving history check with pre-employment drug screen/physical.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to use basic hand tools, lubrication equipment, meters, electric hand tools, water tester, floor sanitizer, pool vacuum, power washer, and water test kits.
- Ability to work in safe and efficient manner.
- Must display leadership abilities, be able to command the respect of pool staff as well as patrons, and be able to delegate duties when needed.
- Must have effective decision making skills, public relation skills, and mathematics comprehension.
May be exposed to extreme hot, cold, or humid temperatures for one hour plus. Possible exposure to distracting/uncomfortable noise levels. Possible risk of bodily injury from mechanical parts, electricity, etc. Possible exposure to fumes, odors, etc. that may affect respiration and skin. Work environment often involves everyday discomforts typical of offices, with occasional exposure to outside elements. Noise or physical surroundings may be distracting, but conditions are generally not unpleasant. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours to attend events or complete work assignments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Sitting, standing, walking, climbing/ladders, squatting/kneeling, reaching, grasping, pushing/pulling, twisting/bending, lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs. multiple times per shift, talking, hearing, and seeing.
Duties are both mental and physical; the job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Visual demands require constantly reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Must possess adequate vision to distinguish colors and shades of color.
Salary: $64,945.93 annualized + benefits
Mandatory Requirements: This is a safety-sensitive position. Must pass a driving history check and pre-employment drug screening / physical prior to employment.
Date Posted: March 14, 2023
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request. Persons with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication (i.e., CART, ASL), written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures in order to access the programs, activities, and meetings of the City of Somerville should please contact Adrienne Pomeroy at 617-625-6600 x 2059 or email@example.com.
Pre-Employment Requirements for All Employees:
- MA Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) clearance
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Completition of Conflict-of-Interest Law Education training for municipal employees
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
To better protect the health and safety of staff and the public, all City of Somerville employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of November 1, 2021. Exemptions and/or reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed and will be reviewed by the City of Somerville Human Resources Department on a case-by-case basis. Learn more at www.somervillema.gov/HR/COVID19.
Benefits Somerville Offers:
- 4 weeks annual vacation (for non-union positions) & for union positions this varies by contract
- Medical insurance through the Group Insurance Commission (GIC)
- Dental coverage low and high plans through Cigna
- Vision care through the Vision Service Plan (VSP)
- Long term disability through Sun Life
- Group and voluntary life insurance through Boston Mutual
- Flexible spending plans through Benefit Strategies
- Deferred compensation through a choice of three vendors
- Employee assistance through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provided by E4Health
- Cancer screening & wellness release
- Somerville Retirement Pension System
- Tuition reimbursement
- MBTA pass program
- FREE Blue Bikes membership
- Eligible employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
Benefits listed are for benefits-eligible positions and the above information is meant to be a general overview of the benefit programs offered by the City of Somerville and not a binding contract.