Full-Time Assistant Coach for the West Fargo Flyers Swim Team
This is a salaried full-time Assistant Coach position with a salary of $40,000 a year.
The West Fargo Flyers mission is to teach and train all levels of competitive swimmers, emphasising individual progress, team unity and family participation. The West Fargo Flyers (WFF) also strive to foster lifelong physical fitness, personal improvement and a spirit of sportsmanship. The West Fargo Flyers Swim and Dive Club is a non-profit 501(c)3 year-round competitive swim and dive team affiliated with USA Swimming & USA Diving that has been in existence since 1977. The WFF is led by a parent run Board of Directors and Head Coach. The team recently won the 2022-2023 10 & Under Short Course State Championship. The team continues to grow and is the second largest swim & dive club in North Dakota.
The West Fargo Flyers Swim Team is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our coaching staff as a full-time Assistant Coach. Under the direct supervision of the Head Coach, and in accordance with the West Fargo Flyers bylaws and policies and procedures, the Assistant Coach will work closely with the Head Coach to develop and implement a comprehensive training program for swimmers of all ages and skill levels. This is a full-time position with competitive compensation.
- Directly coach at least one swim level, ability to support other levels and group coverage as needed.
- Write/co-write practice plans as necessary; Lead practices following plans provided.
- Attend swim meets as determined by Head Swim Coach; Assist in supervising athletes at meets.
- Give swimmers knowledge to understand and master strokes allowing for movement up through the swim team groups.
- Assess athletes skills, monitors athletes during competition and practice, and keeps the Head Coach informed of the athletic performance of swimmers.
- Attend pertinent meetings (team, LSC, etc.).
- Attend activities and events as determined by the Head Coach.
- Model nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Acknowledge Club Handbook and Policies; enforce discipline policies for swimmers.
- Represent program philosophy when communicating with swimmers, parents, and staff.
- Demonstrate computer literacy & experience with TeamUnify and Meet Manager preferred.
- Develop a group training plan that is technically, age, and developmentally appropriate which allows swimmers of different abilities to reach their highest potential while considering all learning styles.
- Understand developmental differences (physical and cognitive) between 6 – 13 year-olds.
- Be able to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time and work both indoors and outdoors.
- Communicate with the Head Coach and ensure that all practice groups are covered in the event of scheduled or unscheduled absences.
- Arrive on time, at least 15 minutes before scheduled practice time.
- Communicate effectively with swim group parents and appropriately respond to emails.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head Coach, including but not limited to meet entries and relays, parent communication, workouts, consistent, constructive feedback, and daily, weekly and season plan.
All West Fargo Flyers coaches who work with competitive swimmers must maintain current USA Swimming certifications. The Assistant Coach must present an appearance and an image consistent with the West Fargo Flyers. Must possess mature judgement and sound decision-making. The Assistant Coach must have the ability to relate to people in a positive, but firm manner. The Assistant Coach must be capable of maintaining harmonious relationships with staff, swimmers, the Board, officials, and the general public. The Assistant Coach must work daily to nurture the potential of youth and teens and help the swimmers improve their well-being.
The Assistant Coach should also have the following qualifications:
- 5 cumulative years in USA swimming, high school and or collegiate (swimmer or coach).
- In good standing with USA Swimming and completed all coaching requirements.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a coaching team.
- Self-motivated and self-directed with a teachable spirit.
- High School Diploma or GED.
Year round afternoon and evening practice times with the potential for morning practices in June and July.
Weekend team meets throughout the swim season (specific times will vary).
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Work is typically performed indoors in varying and occasionally hot weather conditions. A few meets are performed outdoors in varying conditions in the summer. |
- Ability to arrive at work on time for all scheduled work shifts required.
- Ability to stand and move for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
- Frequently required to climb or balance and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- It is necessary for the position to travel independently to swim meet locations or Clubs on a regular basis.
Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting your coaching experience and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this position. The Assistant Coach will be required to follow and other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Head Coach or West Fargo Flyers Board.
Link To Facility Website
Hulbert Aquatic Center / Homepage (k12.nd.us)
Link To West Fargo Flyers Website
West Fargo Flyers Home (teamunify.com)