YMCA OF COLUMBIA - JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Jeep Rogers Family YMCA Swim Team Coach
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Swim Team Director & Vice President- Operations
Leadership Level: Multi-Team Leader
Revision Date: July 2023
Primary Function/Department: Jeep Rogers Family YMCA - Aquatics
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Swim Team Coach oversees the development, organization, and implementation of high-quality Swim Team programming for the Jeep Rogers Family YMCA Mudcats and Summer Swim League Swordfish.
OUR CULTURE: Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Develop, implement, supervise, and evaluate all swim team activities.
2. Hire, develop, schedule, and evaluate swim team personnel.
3. Coordinate and attend association swim team practices and swim meets.
4. Maintain accurate, complete, and timely records of all swimmers, including registration, attendance, skills, and achievements.
5. Communicate effectively with parents and swimmers about skill improvement, practice requirements, meet schedules, and other details.
6. Coordinate swim team volunteer involvement.
7. Be safety-conscious, maintain order and enforce rules during practices and meets to ensure swimmer safety and respect.
8. Develop and monitor the program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
9. Carry out all administrative functions, including updates to the team website and operating systems.
10. Organize or participate in Y activities, such as staff meetings, trainings, special events, and fundraising.
11. Create an encouraging learning environment through personal enthusiasm and positive team spirit.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
• Mission Advancement
• Operational Effectiveness
• Personal Growth
• Two or more years of swim coaching experience preferred, Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred, or acceptable combination of experience and education.
• Strong communication skills (verbal, written, and interpersonal)
• Current certifications in place within 30 days of hire:
o Child Abuse Prevention
o American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid/Oxygen for the Professional Rescuer
o American Red Cross Safety Training for Swim Coaches
o Bloodborne Pathogens
• Current certifications within 60 days of hire:
o USA Swimming Coach
• Current certification with 6 months of hire:
o Principles of YMCA Competitive Swimming and Diving
o ASCA Level 1
• Proficiency with Daxko, TeamUnify, and USA Swimming software within 60 days of hire or prior to first swim meet.
• Ability to work effectively with swimmers, staff, and volunteers.
• Possess working knowledge and demonstrated success related to competitive swim techniques and training methods.
• Commitment to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
• Ability to work extended hours, including weekdays and weekends when necessary.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, and depth perception.