We are seeking a Head Swim Coach to oversee all aspects of our swimming programs, including direct coaching responsibilities. The overall objective of the position is to continue to guide and grow our swimming program to produce the highest attainable levels of competitive excellence in individual and team performance. It is expected that the Head Swim Coach will foster positive relationships, mentor as appropriate, collaborate effectively with other program head coaches (Diving and Water Polo) and communicate well with their own coaching staff, swim team members, parents, and the club’s Board of Directors. The Head Swim Coach must develop the skills and talents of the team members and coaching staff while promoting teamwork, sportsmanship and encouraging personal development and excellence. The Head Swim Coach will also be expected to work in partnership with Lyons Township High School pool management, Illinois Swimming, USA Swimming, and other valued stakeholders.
LYONS Aquatics Club is a year-round competitive aquatics program offering high quality professional coaching and technical instruction for all ages and abilities in the areas of Masters Swimming, Age Group Swimming, Water Polo, Diving, and a Learn to Swim Lessons program. Our goal is to provide every member the opportunity to develop their aquatic skills and succeed at every level, from the novice to the elite. We pride ourselves in having a high-caliber group of coaches, dedicated to producing great athletes AND inspiring the next generation of community-minded leaders. We are a non-profit Club run by an elected Board of Directors.
- Serve as the Head Swim Coach for the team’s competitive swim program to include Age Group, Masters, and Learn to Swim.
- Develop and implement comprehensive training programs across all team/group levels tailored to the needs and abilities of individual swimmers/groups focusing on skill development, tactical knowledge, and physical fitness. Provide personalized coaching and feedback to individual athletes to help them achieve their maximum potential. Organize and lead regular team practices, to enhance team cohesion and performance. The position will require working weeknight practices and some weekend practices/meets with participation in meets at a local, regional, state, and national levels. Supervise and maintain a positive practice and meet environments.
- Foster a positive and inclusive team culture, emphasizing sportsmanship, teamwork, and respect among athletes, coaches, and support staff. Build a positive atmosphere through team-work and fun.
- Foster an interactive, collaborative, multi-sport approach among the Diving, Masters, Swim, Learn to Swim and Water Polo programs in cooperation with each program director to ensure adequate pool time for each program as well as effective and positive athlete development.
- Manage day-to-day operating issues, including (but not limited to):
- Facilities procurement with Lyons Township High School
- Organize weekly staff meetings, provide ongoing feedback to coaches, and conduct formal annual performance reviews of staff.
- Plan team practice schedules and meet schedules, including team and coaches travel, meet entry assignments, and other meet administrative duties
- Evaluate training plans with the age group lead coaches to encourage swimmers to develop short and long-range goals
- Plan and lead parent meetings
- Organize and manage all coaching and administrative staff assignments, responsibilities, and career development, including:
- Review and evaluation of staffing levels
- Assignment and delegation of duties
- Supervisory and evaluation responsibilities of swim coaches
- Develop training plans for swim coaches’ development
- Work collaboratively with the board to ensure adequate and effective coaching staff to include position descriptions, search processes, acquisition, and hiring practices.
- Required to travel periodically with athletes to “away” meets.
- Attend Board meetings and provide monthly progress reports regarding athlete performance, financial, communication, and staffing statuses.
- Finance responsibilities including:
- Assist in preparation of an annual operating budget with the business manager, board treasurer, and aquatics program directors.
- Implement and manage expenditures in accordance with approved budget.
- Review and obtain Board approval for any required changes to budget.
- Lead all communication to coaches, parents (one-to-one and other), greater LAC membership, Board, and serve as the lead LAC ambassador at meets and otherwise (e.g. Public Relations). Also includes:
- Providing details on topics like: training tips, meet preparation, injury prevention, nutrition, college recruitment, etc.…
- Assisting swimmers in understanding potential college swimming opportunities and provide recommendations as requested.
Mental Requirements, Attitude and Approach:
- Must possess vision for Lyons Aquatics Swimming and the ability to maintain and communicate that vision through all swim levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communications as well as demonstrated ability in fostering teamwork.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to deal effectively with all levels of employees, club members, athletes, parents, Board members and outside personnel
- Acts as a role model for swimmers with a positive, proactive manner which inspires and support the athletes
- Up-to-date on latest coaching techniques through research and/or continuing education through USA Swimming or ASCA
- Strong understanding of overall balance of training for distance and sprint, taper techniques, both in water and dry-land, for all age groups and strength/conditioning work throughout the entire program
- Ability to develop and implement a cohesive vision and coaching philosophy throughout the program, building swimmers from novice through senior levels
- Encouraging athletes to strive for their personal best
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Qualifications:
- Current USA Swimming coach member in good standing, including all courses and certifications, ASCA Level 4 or 5 certification strongly preferred.
- Proven coaching experience ten or more years and proven success with both developmental and elite swimmers in technique, race strategy and training methodologies.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with athletes, parents, staff, and the broader community.
- Strong organizational abilities to manage multiple tasks and events simultaneously.
- Proficient in use of Hy-Tek software, Daktronics Timing Systems, and TeamUnify platforms, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint – or equivalent) and Gmail
- Must pass USA Swimming and Lyons background check and drug test requirements
- Required to maintain USA Swimming coach certification, including first aid and life-saving requirements
Compensation is commensurate with education and experience and includes a structured bonus based on specific performance criteria.
Candidates should email a copy of their resume, highlighting relevant work experience and education, along with three professional references to Lyons Aquatics Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately but the position will remain open until it is filled by the best candidate.