Title: Aquatic Specialist (part-time) - 40 positions
NYC Parks serves as the steward for over 30,000 acres of land, which includes 1,000 playgrounds, 36 recreation centers, 66 pools and 14 miles of beach. Our primary responsibility is to build and maintain clean, safe and accessible parks, and to create cultural and educational programs for New Yorkers of all ages to enjoy. The mission of Recreation is to enable all New Yorkers to lead physically active and intellectually stimulating lives through sports, fitness, outdoor adventure, technology, education, and the arts. Recreation programs include specialized exercise classes, youth sports, senior activities, summer camps and free afterschool programs. Recreation programming occurs throughout the City in NYC Parks recreation centers, parks and playgrounds.
· Under supervision, conduct dynamic and innovative workshops, sports and specialized recreational programs for the Aquatics Division.
· Provide swim instruction to tots, children, adults, seniors, and people with special needs. Aquatic Specialists may be asked to coach swim teams, supervise lap swim, teach water exercise classes and serve as Aquatics Directors at Summer Camps.
· Develop and facilitate programming to engage New Yorkers in aquatic recreational activities.
· Lead and coach youth Aquatics programming.
· Instruct participants in basic fitness skills, including proper fitness equipment use, basic safety precautions and the health benefits of regular exercise.
· Lead aquatics fitness classes for New Yorkers of all ages.
· Maintain equipment and fitness areas on a daily basis, including keeping an inventory of necessary materials and supplies. Inspect public spaces and report evidence of unsafe or hazardous conditions.
· Establish program objectives, evaluate recreational programs and design cutting-edge curricula.
· Promote NYC Parks Recreation Center memberships and assist in events and special projects.
· Collect and submit accurate data, forms, and reports to meet internal deadlines.
1. Three years of participation in an art, craft or other recreational pursuit as a teacher, performer, coach, official, contestant or demonstrator, including at least one year of experience in that art, craft or recreational pursuit to be performed on the job, as described below; or
2. Major study in that art, craft or recreational pursuit to be performed on the job, as described below, acquired in a high school, college or other appropriate institution over at least a three year period; or
3. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience as described above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience or education in that art, craft or recreational pursuit to be performed on the job as described below.
Job assignments are limited to the following recreational activities: woodworking, weightlifting, tennis, aquatics, soccer, fencing, golf, gymnastics, ham radio, horseback riding, hockey, figure skating, martial arts, music, nature study, art, photography, dramatics, dance-roller skating, small crafts, sewing, astronomy, auto mechanics, baton twirling, bridge, chess, modern dance, dog obedience, puppetry, boxing and storytelling.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
1. Bachelor’s degree in physiology, recreation or a sports related field.
2. Experience recruiting, instructing and coaching sports, including girls’, women’s and nontraditional sports.
3. Excellent communication, organizational and customer service skills.
4. Proficiency in computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
5. Able to work weekends and non-traditional hours.
6. Fluency in Spanish, Korean, Mandarin/Cantonese or Polish.
7. Valid New York State driver license.
Salary: New Hire Rate: $23.66/hour* Incumbent Rate: $27.21/hour*
*Part-time/Flexible hours – up to 21 hours per week
Work Location: TBD
Open Until Filled
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 597749
References will be required upon request.
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
THE CITY OF NEW YORK IS AN INCLUSIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO RECRUITING AND RETAINING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND PROVIDING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT IS FREE FROM DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT BASED UPON ANY LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS OR PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AN INDIVIDUAL'S SEX, RACE, COLOR, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, RELIGION, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, VETERAN STATUS, GENDER IDENTITY, OR PREGNANCY.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115