Visit Us & Apply Today!
Click Here To Apply Today
Under general supervision, is responsible for protecting the safety and well-being of each patron using the City of San Antonio Aquatic Facilities. Responsible for the supervision, discipline, and customer service of all persons using deep or shallow water pool facilities.
Please CLICK HERE to visit our site to learn more about our Aquatics division.
This position is an "unclassified" position and has no disciplinary appeal rights to the Municipal Civil Service Commission. This position is likewise subject to at-will employment status and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
This position can be placed at any one of the twenty-four (24) City outdoor pools. At the Department's Discretion, the work location and days/hours may be subject to change.
CLICK HERE for a map of all available pool locations.
Shifts will vary during pool operating hours of 7:15 a.m. -8:15 p.m.; Monday - Sunday. Shifts will vary during Lifeguard training classes, special events, and Aquatics programs.
Essential Job Functions
- Ensures the safety of patrons.
- Enforces all rules and regulations consistently.
- Coordinates emergency procedures or provide first aid and CPR in emergency situations, which requires occasional lifting and carrying up to 15 pounds to administer emergency protocol.
- Performs general maintenance/custodial functions as required.
- Vacuum pool, operates chlorine machines, and performs chlorine and pH tests of water.
- May perform the duties of the Water Safety Instructor, including teaching swimming and water safety skills.
- Participates in continuous in-service skills training.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
- Successful completion of a nationally recognized Lifeguard Training, including Lifeguard Certification, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, and Standard First Aid within 14 days of hire
- Lifeguard Instructor Certification
- Water Safety Instructor Certification
- Valid Lifeguard Certification
- Aquatic Fitness Certification
- Certified Pool Operator
- If selected for this position, official transcripts, diplomas, certifications and licenses must be submitted at the time of processing. Unofficial transcripts and copies of other relevant documents may be attached to the application for consideration in advance.
- Please be advised that if selected for this position, information regarding employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position will be needed for employment verification. Applicants claiming military service to meet the experience requirement for this position may attach a DD214 to the application.
- Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience in order to meet the minimum requirements of the job. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is defined as 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
- Applicants selected for employment with the City of San Antonio in this position must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks. If required for the position, a physical, motor vehicle record evaluation, and additional background checks may be conducted.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge for presenting a positive, enthusiastic image of the Department of Parks and Recreation, its pools, and programs.
- Skilled in swimming instruction and assisting in all swimming programs as directed.
- Ability to watch, direct, and safeguard patrons.
- Ability to rescue and perform emergency First Aid to persons in danger of drowning.
- Ability to be responsible for keeping the building and grounds in a safe, clean, and sanitary condition.
- Ability to clean the swimming pool, deck, scum gutters, dressing rooms, showers, entrance to pool, and other areas as required.
- Ability to test water for proper chlorine/pH levels.
- Ability to perform all the essential functions of the position, with or without accommodations.
- Ability to work primarily in a recreation facility with exposure to temperature extremes and noise.