Under the direction of the Senior Director of Youth Development, the Director of Aquatics is responsible for the recruitment, retention, training, performance evaluation and day to day supervision of aquatics staff and all aquatics programming at the Wallingford Family YMCA. This position is responsible for generating revenue and monitoring expenses according to the department budget. This individual is responsible for preparing and coordinating employee work schedules to ensure necessary aquatics staffing at all times.
This individual supports member participation and retention through the development and execution of aquatics programs to achieve strategic goals and provide outstanding customer service to all members. S/he must be available to work a flexible schedule during peak times of business, including mornings, evenings and weekends as needed.
1. Promotes and incorporates the YMCA core values and character development model into all program activities.
2. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed.
3. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
4. Conduct monthly staff meetings and scheduled in-service trainings.
5. Establishes new program activities and expands programs within the community in accordance with the YMCA’s strategic plan.
6. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
7. Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
8. Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
9. Responsible for the direct supervision of aquatic staff, including staff scheduling, class organization and implementation. Ensure all shifts and classes are adequately covered. Acts as substitute, if needed.
10. Coordinates use of facilities for program activities and events. Secures and schedules pool facilities.
11. Oversees the Dolphins Swim Team and all competitive aquatic programs.
12. Maintain accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
13. Conduct and ensure proper maintenance of the pools in collaboration with the Facilities Director.
14. Maintain accurate records of staff certifications.
15. Conduct lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings.
16. Create and schedule swim classes, water fitness classes and swim team practices and meets.
Safety is the responsibility of every employee of the Wallingford Family YMCA. Each employee is charged with adhering to the YMCA’s Safety and Risk Management program as directed by the management.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (TEAM LEADER):
Community: Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to improving lives.
Influence: Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict.
Communication: Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience.
Project Management: Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team.
Change Capacity: Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Benefits include paid time off for vacation, holiday, sick and personal time. Health and Dental benefits are offered with an employee contribution. Long Term Disability and Life Insurance is paid in full.
Please Contact Eric Skinner: ESkinner @wallingfordymca.org directly by email.
For questions please email or call 203-269-4497 x115.
Please see The Wallingford Family YMCA Career Website for an application and to view all of our openings: http://www.wallingfordymca.org/careers/