Reports To: Operations Director
Position Overview: As the only public swimming facility in Routt County, Old Town Hot Spring’s mission is to provide aquatic health and wellness opportunities and education for our members, guests, and the Routt County community. The Aquatics Director is responsible and accountable for all aspects of aquatic programming and safety at Old Town Hot Springs, including lifeguarding, swim/water safety instruction, aquatic programming, and the Steamboat Springs Swim Team.
Essential Job Functions:
Leading Aquatics Teams
· Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, motivate, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
· Demonstrates enthusiasm and knowledge of the aquatics department to successfully recruit new hires and retain high performing teammates.
· Teaches lifeguard and CPR classes to new hires, as well as monthly in-service training to existing teammates.
· Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employee’s absence (lifeguard, swim instructor, swim coach).
· Conducts regular analysis of department to assure compliance with all policies, regulatory standards, and procedures.
· Identifies the developmental needs of staff and provides coaching and mentoring to improve their knowledge or skills.
· Manage scheduling and consistently review staffing levels to ensure operational needs and financial objectives are met.
· Prepare the Aquatics payroll bi-monthly.
Driving Program Goals
· Manages day-to day operations and programs, ensuring the quality, standards, and the expectations of customers are met.
· Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish initiatives.
· Works directly with community partnership to schedule group visits and create new programming.
· Handles complaints, settles disputes, and resolves grievances and conflicts, using empathy and problem-solving skills.
· Develops the Steamboat Springs Swim Team by meeting USA Swimming standards, positively communicating with stakeholders, creating the team’s vision, and supporting the Head Swim Coach.
Ensuring Exceptional Safety and Standards
· Subject matter expert for OTHS on the Model Aquatic Health Code (MAHC) and applicable state/local bather codes.
· Highly visible to staff and customers to ensure safety and job expectations are met.
· Leads interdepartmental training on the OTHS Emergency Action Plan.
· Strong understanding of Crisis Management.
· Collaborates to create direction and objectives around the organization’s vision, translates vision into actionable plans.
· Monthly monitoring of payroll, departmental expenses and revenue to budget.
· Annual participation in budgeting process
· Perform cost control analysis.
· Maintains a strong working relationship with all departments to support smooth operations and accomplishment of goals.
· Maintains a professional image and manner consistent with the OTHS mission and goals.
· Provides leadership and direction in the development of short- and long-range plans, and gathers, interprets, and prepares data for reports and recommendations as it pertains to the aquatics department.
· Assist with special events, parties, fundraisers as needed.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Minimum three years’ experience in an Aquatics operational leadership capacity.
· Proven experience in recruiting, hiring, training, developing and supervising a team of at least 50 staff.
· Positive 3-5 year history of leadership in the areas of staff management, program development, and fiscal budgeting.
· Expertise in conducting training for: lifeguards, swim instructors, First Aid, CPR, and Administering Emergency Oxygen.
· Ability to push, pull, carry and lift up to 70 lbs.
Technical Skills and Certifications
Immediately upon hire:
Within six months of hire:
· Strong and effective computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
· Proven ability to learn and manage the use of a health club management software system.
· American Red Cross certifications preferred, but OTHS is open to other lifeguarding certifications for the right candidate.
· Exhibit excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Must be able to maintain composure during high stress events and conversations.
· The ability to create a positive team-oriented environment focused on safety, and the ability to inspire a high-level of performance and alignment with the organizational culture is required.
What we offer: