The Helena Lions Swim Team (HLST), a year-round competitive USA Swimming club in Helena, MT is seeking an energetic, engaging, motivated, experienced, dynamic Head Coach for a team of 40 swimmers to further develop an already strong program. Established in 1973, HLST has a recognized presence in the community and over the years has produced numerous Individual State Champions, Championship relays, Seniors, Age Group Sections, Futures, and Zone qualifiers. Practice facilities include an indoor 25-yard pool and an outdoor 50-meter pool in summer.
The Head Coach, through collaboration and communication, is responsible for ensuring:
· Team operations
· Swimmer Recruitment and retention
o Assessing team structure, re-structuring as needed, and adding programming in demand for our area
· Scheduling and maximizing pool time and coaching staff
· Providing coaching and training that is technically, age and developmentally appropriate.
· Community Involvement
For a complete job description, see contact information below. Additional team information is available at www.hlst.org
Candidates must be U.S. citizens or currently residing in the U.S. and eligible to work in the U.S.
Three years of management or administrative experience.
· Previous coaching/working with youth experience
· Knowledge of Team Unify, and Hy-Tek systems
· Ability to work with swimmers of all ages
· Cooperative and respectful interpersonal skills
· Strong organizational and administrative skills
· Can recruit swimmers and plan and develop programs to increase team revenue
· Training in team building best practices in accordance with USA Swimming SafeSport.
· Current in USA Swimming required certifications: CPR, Safety Training for Swim Coaches, Athlete Protection, Concussion Protocol Training, Background check, Coaches Advantage Training, Foundations of Coaching, MAAPP 2.0
· Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and be physically able to climb stairs without assistance
Helena, the capital city of Montana, has a population of approximately 34,000, with a greater area population of over 63,000 (2010). Nestled in the eastern foothills of the Rocky Mountains (elev. 4,100) and centrally located between Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. There are vast opportunities for summer and winter outdoor recreation activities, including hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, and skiing. Known as “The Best Small Art Town in America,” there are a multitude of social, educational, and family oriented activities offered throughout the year. For more local information visit www.helenachamber.com.
Salary and Application Requirements:
The Year 1 salary is $55,000. The Year 2 base salary is $45,000 with additional pay through incentives based on swimmer numbers (up to $15,800 additional) and increase in team revenue. Additional incentives possible with development of revenue producing programs. Structure of incentive pay provided to candidates by request. These opportunities are available and attainable for a candidate who commits to developing programs currently in demand in our area. Paid vacation, coach meet travel/meet stipend and reimbursement for continuing education, and coaching certifications are available. Historically, the HLST coach has also served on the coaching staff for the two local high school swim teams for supplemental income.
Interested applicants should submit a statement describing the applicant’s coaching philosophy and history of organizational growth, current resume, and three current references with contact information via email to the Hiring Committee Chairs:
Sarah Urban and Piper Lynch