The YMCA of the North Shore SHARKS is a YMCA/USA Swim Team located on the North Shore of Boston. We are a 6 site team with over 400 competitive swimmers from age 5 -18 of varying levels. We are currently seeking a FULL TIME Age Group Coach. Candidates should have 2-5 years of experience, be a well-organized, energetic age group coach with a great understanding of swimmer development and stroke technique, a “self-starter” with a strong work ethic / moral values, a team player with excellent oral and written communication skills. Experience with Team Unify and Meet Manager is preferred but not required. Candidates should have (or be willing to acquire) all of the appropriate USA Swimming and YMCA Swimming certifications as well as lifeguarding or Red Cross Safety Training for Coaches. Any certifications not in place must be acquired our first 3-6 months. Compensation is commensurate
with experience and credentials.
- Lead structured swim team practices focusing on stroke technique, competition preparedness, relationship building and collaboration based on the YNS competitive swim schedule.
- Attend all swim team events such as meets, meetings, trainings, social events, etc.;
- Assist in creating thorough, age-appropriate workouts focusing on technique, endurance, stroke development, drills, etc.
- Keep detailed and accurate records as needed including attendance, work-outs and swimmer progression. Assist in swim team social event planning, as necessary.
- Assist in coordinating and executing swim team competitions and meet registrations. Record times at swim meets.
- Remain up to date regarding aquatics trends National Y as well as emerging YMCA trends within aquatic programming and advocate for the expansion or changing of programs and services aligned with those trends.
- Maintain consistent, clear, effective and positive communication with youth and parents on the team.
- Additional responsibilities may include working with our older age groups, Masters and annual Swim Clinic.
- At least 18 years of age with 2+ years experience as a competitive swimmer
- 2+ years swim coaching experience preferred
- USA Swimming Coach or ASCA Level 1 and Principles of YMCA Competitive Swimming certification preferred;
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency of swim skills in accordance with YMCA standards and have a strong foundation in stroke mechanics and be able to communicate effectively with swimmers and their parents
- Enthusiastic presence with good communication skills
- Certifications: CPR, AED, Basic First Aid certification or willingness to obtain
The YMCA is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, protected genetic information, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, veteran's status, or sexual orientation.