The Northeastern Swim Team (NST) is looking to hire a Full-Time Head Coach/Program Director. The coach would lead, design, and foster systematic growth for our swim team in line with the NST Mission Statement and USA Swimming goals and guidelines.
NST, founded in 2014, is an established swim club in the beautiful community of Decorah, Iowa. With constant growth over the last four years, NST has an average of 90 swimmers per season. Swimmers have achieved over 700 state qualifying times as well as AAA and AAAA time standards. NST has had numerous state champions, 14 swimmers qualify for Midwest All Stars, and 12 swimmers qualify for Central Regional Zones.
NST has won ten team spirit/sportsmanship awards, including three at state championship meets. Our swimmers, families, board members, volunteers, and communities are committed to the success of this team. We are looking for someone who is an experienced swim coach and who is people-centered and future-focused to help grow and guide this team.
- Serve as primary on-deck coach at practices and meets.
- Provide a vision for the overall development of training groups and team performance.
- Support swimmers’ goals as they relate to the spirit and structure of USA Swimming’s American Development Model and individual needs.
- Increase the number of athletes who swim into their high school and collegiate years.
- Increase the number of athletes who qualify for championship opportunities.
- Supervise and develop assistant coaching staff including
- coordinate stroke and training principles throughout all levels
- oversee group placement and advancement of athletes.
- Oversee administrative aspects of team activities including
- meet selection, planning and registration
- coordination of home/hosted meets
- practice scheduling for all training groups
- maintaining team statistics
- team promotion locally and within Iowa LSC.
- Work cooperatively with the Board of Directors as an ex-oﬃcio member to
- develop and administer the team budget
- create and execute a shared vision for NST’s growth and success
- communicate professionally and regularly with coaches, athletes, and parents
- work with the community to build support and program numbers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with NST parents, including parent education/activities with volunteer parents.
- Be willing to assist in all areas whenever appropriate.
- Minimum 3 years (preferred 5+ years) experience as Head Coach or Assistant Coach of a USA Swimming affiliated club.
- ASCA Level 3 certiﬁcation or above strongly preferred.
- Experience leading and mentoring assistant coaching staff.
- All certiﬁcations current and in good standing with USA Swimming or required prior to starting.
- Solid knowledge of stroke theory and training physiology.
- Proven success coaching, motivating, and inspiring swimmers at all levels, from developmental through higher competitive levels.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Ideal Candidate Possesses
- Clear, cooperative, and tactful communication style.
- Solid personal ethics, including honesty, respect, and integrity.
- Kind and fun attitude toward swimmers of all skill levels.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- A passion for competitive swimming, along with a personal desire to succeed professionally and advance the team as a whole.
- Competitive swimming experience.
- Experience with and knowledge of HyTek programs and Team Unify.
- Experience maintaining and managing a social media presence.
Requirements, Certifications, and Skills
- Must pass a background check from USA Swimming and have completed the USA Swimming head coaching requirements (required).
- Current CPR/Safety Training certification.
- Working knowledge of Team Unify and Hy-Tek systems as well as proficiency in Microsoft Office software (preferred).
Salary Range-Starting salary $35,000 plus a $2,000 personal wellness stipend.
How to Apply
Send resume with at least three references and a cover letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be held in conﬁdence. Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2019, and continue until the position is filled.