Under the direction of the Aquatics Director and the Head Coach, the Swim Team Assistant Coach is responsible for organizing and conducting practices, motivating and energizing swimmers, and for developing proper stroke technique and swim skills for members of the Wallingford Dolphins Swim Team. This program is conducted in accordance with the missions and policies of the Wallingford Family YMCA Dolphins, Wallingford Family YMCA, the YMCA of the USA, and USA Swimming.
- A minimum of American Red Cross Coach’s Safety Training and CPR with First Aid is required within 6 months of hire (YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguarding preferred).
- 1-3 years competitive coaching experience is recommended, and at least 4 years of competitive swimming experience is preferred.
- YMCA Principles & Practices of Swimming and Diving is preferred (required within 3 months of hire).
- Candidates must demonstrate knowledge and ability to communicate recognized principles and practices of coaching age group swimmers.
- Candidates must also exhibit exemplary communication skills and the four YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect & responsibility.
- Team Unify experience preferred.
- College degree preferred.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Share a love of swimming and working with young people, with the expertise and disposition to enhance competitiveness of WFYD’s growing program.
- Demonstrate an enthusiastic attitude toward the team & provide a positive learning environment for all.
- Be focused on the task at hand & be present during practices, meets, & WFYD events as required, representing the Wallingford Family YMCA>
- Help maintain a record keeping system of attendance, swimmer progression, and be able to prepare meet entries for swimmers in assigned group.
- Maintain positive communication and rapport with swimmers and swim team families.
- Candidates should be able to provide relevant examples of teaching quality technique as well as have a record of producing well-rounded swimmers. Must keep up to date with techniques and training practices.
- Encourage participation through YMCA swim lesson programs as well as other YMCA youth programs in collaboration with the Aquatics Department.
- Be willing to obtain/maintain YMCA and USA Coaching Certifications.
- Report any facility problems to management following the work order procedure.
- Conduct oneself in accordance to the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
- Dress appropriately at all WFYD practices, events, and meets.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Part time work requires evening and weekend hours.This position is seasonal, 5+ hours per week, not to exceed 40 hours per week.
- Resume with relevant qualifications
- Cover letter with interest in the position
- 3 references we can easily contact or letters of reference that can be verified.
- email address and contact phone number
Contact Sally Darrow, Sr. Director of Membership: SDarrow@wallingfordymca.org or 203-269-4497 x 202 for more information.
For further information see our website:
You recieve a free gym membership with a scheduled weekly shift.