Woodland Hills Aquatic Team (WHAT) is seeking a Head Coach for our competitive swim program and to oversee our swim lessons program.
*With an option to start for long course 2019 season
Based in an eastern suburbs minutes outside of Pittsburgh, WHAT is a member of the USA Swimming community and a representative team of Allegheny Mountain Swimming. We offer competitive swim training to all age groups and abilities, ranging from the developmental level to the highest levels of swimming. We also offer a swim lesson program, as well as, a summer Make-A-Splash program.
We are a continually growing team, teaching competitive stroke technique, racing strategy, and most of all an organized aerobic training plan. These proven training methods are set in place in an effort to develop important life values that are integral in developing pride in oneself and one’s team.
The Head Coach is responsible for all aspects of coaching, directing the assistant coaching staff, communicating with the Board and families, administering various aspects of the program including the swim school, and promoting continued growth and development of the program.
- Designs and/or oversees seasonal training plans, determines swimmer group assignments and workout schedules, instructs technique, monitors and records daily attendance for all swimmers, and meets with swimmers to establish goals and track progress;
- Determines the team’s meet schedule and posts information on the website, selects/oversees selection of all swimmers’ meet events, submits meet entries, provides coverage for all meets attended by WHAT swimmers either personally or with assistant staff, and sets up and manages WHAT-hosted meets;
- Enforces all Team and LSC Policies and Procedures;
- Interviews and hires all assistant staff members (including swim school and life guards), manages all staff within approved annual budget, oversees, reviews, and approves staff timesheets and expense reports, and reviews staff needs with Board at least annually;
- Works in conjunction with the Board to develop the annual budget, assists with fund raising, and promotes continued growth of the swim team and swim school;
- Works closely with the school district to assure access to facilities, submits for permits in a timely manner, and promotes a positive relationship between the club and the district;
- Provides a monthly report to the Board, communicates regularly with the Board President as necessary or requested, and attends monthly Board meetings;
- Develops and participates in a parent education program;
- Serves as AMS representative and attends all necessary meetings;
- Provides timely access to meet results, team records, team database;
- Provides information to the media when appropriate and subject to Board approval.
- Minimum of5 years of experience in swim coaching;
- Competitive swimmer experience in college preferred;
- Current USA Swimming Coaching Certification;
- ASCA Level 3 preferred;
- Familiarity with ACTIVE Hy-tek Swim Management programs and Daktronics Timing System is a plus;
- Must pass USA Swimming background check;
- Required to maintain USA Swimming coach certification, including first aid and life-saving requirements;
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Salary is commensurate with experience and determined by the Board. Potential for added income by managing the swim school program. Position is mid-afternoon to evening Monday-Friday, Saturday mornings, and scheduled competition weekends and team. Attendance at several team travel meets per year is expected (typically 2 to 3, as well as Zones/Sectionals, as required). Hours will vary during June & July to include both mornings and afternoons during long-course season. WHAT practices at the Woodland Hills Junior/Senior High School Pool during short course season.
If you wish to apply, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to contact Ian Sipula at (412-812-2180) or Ellen Ayoob at (412) 352-2907 for more information or with any questions.