Head Swim Team Coach-Part Time For The Wallingford Family YMCA Dolphin Swim Team
Applications accepted until position is filled
Hourly rate: $16-$18 hr
The Head Swim Team Coach at The Wallingford Family YMCA is responsible for organizing and conducting practices, clinics, meets and other events for the Wallingford Dolphins Swim Team. This team is sponsored by the Wallingford Family YMCA and participates in the Yankee Cluster Swim League. This program is conducted in accordance with the missions and policies of the Wallingford Family YMCA, the YMCA of the USA, and USA Swimming.
This is a part time, non-exempt (up to 28 hours per week, with seasonal fluctuations) position
KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING, & EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of Lifeguarding (YMCA or ARC) and CPR/AED/AEO is required.
- Coaching certifications from YMCA of the USA and USA Swimming. Certification from ASCA is preferred.
- Two to four years competitive coaching experience is required.
- Two years Head Coach preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field or equivalent preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to communicate recognized principles and practices of coaching young swimmers.
- Demonstrated ability to build a team of quality coaches.
- Great communication skills a must as well as supervision and public relations skills.
- Sexual harassment training must be obtained within 6 months.
- Additional certifications preferred: Lifeguard Management, WSI and/or Y Swim Instructor, Lifeguard Instructor, and Pool Operator.
- Contribute to and supervise the fulfillment of the YMCA Mission and character development values through the Wallingford Dolphin Swim team program.
- Develop staff through supervision and team-building.
- Recruit, train, and supervise all level swim coaches, coach’s assistants, and parent volunteers.
- Recruit and oversee the Parent’s Association volunteers, attend monthly Parent Association meetings or arrange a coach representative. Assure that monthly all-parent meetings are held (this can include the spring banquet) where parents vote on Association budget and membership and any other business.
- Encourage recruitment of swimmers through YMCA swim lesson programs as well as other YMCA youth programs in collaboration with the Aquatics Director.
- Develop and maintain a recordkeeping system of the status and progress of each swimmer.
- In conjunction with the assistant swim coaches, prepare all meet entries assuring that every child swims in every meet they attend.
- Develop a schedule for swim team practices across multiple facilities, and develop competitive swim clinics each year.
- Update, maintain, and distribute the Dolphin Swim Team handbook.
- Communicate regularly Aquatics Director and all coaches.
- Maintain communication and rapport with all swimmers and their parents.
- Demonstrate an enthusiastic attitude towards the team and provide a positive learning environment for all.
- Oversee the Dolphin website and other social media and ensure that it is kept up to date.
- Assist in the preparation of an annual budget under the guidance and supervision of the Aquatics Director, and manage that budget for the Dolphin Swim team program in accordance with established procedures and expectations.
- Represent the Wallingford Family YMCA at YMCA regional events and trainings.
- Continue to develop and evaluate the USA Swimming program as part of the Dolphin Swim program.
- Report any facility problems, needed repairs to the Facility Director following the work order procedure.
- Evaluate all programs annually to ensure they meets the needs of program participants.
- Keep current with swim coaching techniques and issues. Membership in ASCA recommended.
- Keep all certifications current and monitor coaching staff to ensure their certifications are also kept current.
- Staff Administration: Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, will assist in recruitment, hiring, training, supervising, motivating and evaluating swim team staff, as well as taking disciplinary action up to and including termination as needed.
- Program Development: Assist with the evaluation and improvement of the swim team program. Assist with the creation of new programs and new collaborations.
- Supervision: Supervise all assistant coaches, coach aids, volunteer coaches, and mentors.
- Complete reports, projects, and assignments as needed or assigned.
- Attend meetings and trainings as needed or assigned.
Safety is the responsibility of every employee of the Wallingford Family YMCA. Each employee is charged with adhering to the YMCA’s Safety and Risk Management program as directed by the management.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
EFFECT ON END RESULT
The Head Swim Team Coach’s success will be measured by:
- Providing a high quality swim team experience to all participants.
- Ensuring maximum safety of all program participants.
- Sound administration as evidenced in purposeful records systems.
- Steady improvement in the quality and strength of the swim team program.
- Consistent scheduling of staff with no interruption of services provided to swimmers.
Please email a resume, cover letter with your interest, and 3 references to:
Sally Darrow, Sr. Director of Membership & Wellness
Phone 203-269-4497 x202
Or by mail: The Wallingford Family YMCA
81 S. Elm St
Wallingford CT 06492