Position: Indiana Swim Club Head Coach
Indiana Swim Club (ISC) was originally founded in 1955 as a competitive swimming program for children ages 5-21. As a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, ISC is run by a Board of Directors consisting of parents and other interested members of the community. ISC is a multi-site 200+ member of USA Swimming, the national governing body for the sport of swimming, and Indiana Swimming, Inc. (ISI), the governing body for swimming in the state of Indiana.
Our mission is to encourage youth in the Bloomington area to experience the sport of swimming at a variety of levels, from the beginning swimmer to the national caliber swimmer, in a safe and supportive environment that fosters discipline, sportsmanship, and self-esteem.
ISC is seeking an experienced, dynamic and energetic competitive head coach to join our team. The individual will be responsible for the development and growth of a competitive club at both the developmental and elite levels, administration and strategic direction of the club, oversight of the day-to-day wet and dry land training plans and staffing coverage. This is a full-time, year-round salaried position.
Position Responsibility Overview
- Provides leadership, management, long-range planning and vision for the Indiana Swim Club
- Maintains and increases overall club participation, including participation at the highest levels of the sport. (i.e. Age Group Zone Championships, Futures, Junior Nationals, Nationals, Olympic Trials)
- Work to continually grow ISC’s recognition based on USA Swimming’s recognition and club excellence program.
- Mentorship and collaboration with Indiana University Swim Staff.
- Designs, administers and implements a comprehensive and progressive competitive swim program meeting the needs of beginner, novice, competitive and elite athletes.
- Continually work toward improving each swimmer’s technique, provide effective motivation and a positive attitude and relationship with each swimmer.
- Set swim groups and objective criteria for advancement.
- Work with Assistant Coaches to provide progress reports for each swimmer during the middle and end of short course and long course seasons.
- Manage a dynamic group of coaches at multiple sites. Hire coaches as needed to fulfill the mission of the club.
- Develop, train and mentor coaches to ensure a reliable, cohesive and positive coaching environment with an emphasis on teamwork and personal growth.
- Formally evaluate coaching staff at the end of short course season.
- Set detailed practice schedules and arrange aquatic facility rentals as needed.
- Be highly visible, approachable and regularly and professionally communicative, both verbally and in written form to swimmers, their parents, coaching staff, Board of Directors, and other team’s staff and meet officials as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring adherence to USA Swimming Safe Sport guidelines.
- Develop public relations and communication plan to promote the value of the Indiana Swim Club.
- Attend Local Swim Committee (LSC) meetings and House of Delegates meetings.
- Attend and participate in club board meetings.
- Work with the Board of Directors to help prepare an annual budget and ensure all operations are kept within the established budget.
- Attend at least one professional coach clinic per year.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with local high school and middle school coaches, Athletic Directors, and Indiana University Swim coaches and staff.
- Maintain a swim lesson program.
- Determine the club meet schedule.
- Be actively involved in the development and promotion of swim meets hosted by the club.
Successful candidates should possess:
- A passion for the sport and thorough mastery of swim stroke mechanics and current coaching techniques.
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills and the ability to supervise and lead staff in providing excellent customer service.
- Strong strategic, creative, problem-solving and organization skills.
- Experience with social media platforms including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook.
- Experience and familiarity with Team Unify Software, including meet entry, website updates, general communication and overall team administration.
- Experience with Google Calendar and Microsoft Office.
- High level of maturity, patience and dependability while working with swimmers of all ages and abilities.
- USA member Swim Coach in good standing.
- All appropriate and valid licenses/certifications/registrations for USA Swimming and swimmer safety.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience coaching at a high level
- Start date: August 1, 2019
- Salary Range: $48,000-56,000
- Please send cover letter, resume and references to Amy Freel at President@IndianaSwimClub.com