POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT:
The Head Swimming and Diving Coach reports to the Director of Athletics and is under the division of the Vice President of Student Affairs. The head Swimming and Diving Coach is responsible for conducting the Saint John’s Swimming and Diving program with integrity and under the rules and mission of Saint John’s University, the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, and NCAA Division III. In the role of Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach the hired candidate will report to the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach while responsible for the development and management of individual and group strength training programs for student-athletes (including varsity, junior varsity, club, and IM), recreation users, faculty and staff.
The Head Swimming and Diving Coach manages swimming and diving operations and is ultimately accountable for all aspects of the Johnnie Swim and Dive program and its student athletes including:
Swim & Dive Coaching Responsibilities - Primary
- Manage a successful, results oriented program.
- Provide a great and inclusive co-curricular experience for our student athletes that reflects positively on St. John’s University.
- Hire, manage and develop a qualified assistant coaching staff for the swimming and diving program.
- Develop constructive and beneficial training sessions.
- Support and mentor student athletes.
- Annually assess the coaches, student athletes and overall program through an established formal process.
Recruiting Responsibilities - Secondary
- Recruit qualified, diverse, talented prospective student/athletes for the swimming and diving team.
- Initiate and respond to recruiting correspondences.
- Personally interact with prospective swimming and diving student-athletes that visit campus.
Administrative Responsibilities - Secondary
- Ensure the eligibility of student-athletes.
- Commitment to learn and be knowledgeable with the institution, MIAC and NCAA DIII rules and regulations set forth by these associations.
- Manage the swimming and diving budget including subsidizing it with fundraising.
- Coordinate, staff and direct all home meets.
- Schedule all practices and competitions.
- Organize all team travel, lodging, and meals.
- Responsible for all equipment purchasing, distribution, inventory, and repair for the swimming and diving team.
- Collaborate with appropriate offices and media to promote and highlight the program and student athletes to alumni, recruits and fans.
- Work with the Athletic Department Coordinator and Physical Plant to make sure the pool area is safe and properly maintained.
- Additional administrative duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Strength & Conditioning Coaching - Secondary
- Create and monitor in-season and off-season strength and conditioning programs for varsity and junior varsity student athletes in designated sports
- Meet with Head Coaches of designated sports to assess needs
- Facilitate learning of proper lifting, spotting and safety techniques by patrons of the fitness center
- Maintain a current understanding of team and individual conditioning specific training trends
- Work in cooperation with the athletic trainers in the rehabilitation and strengthening of injured athletes
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Baccalaureate degree (master’s preferred).
- Proven swimming and diving coaching experience.
- Proven swimming and diving recruitment experience.
- An understanding and appreciation for the character and success of the Saint John’s University Athletic Department and its programs.
- An understanding of the mission of NCAA Division III athletics.
- Computer literacy.
- Strong verbal and writing skills.
- Strong organizational skills
- Solid leadership skills.
- The ability to work with minimal direction.
- Self-motivated and results-oriented.