GREAT LAKES TRITONS SWIM TEAM – Group Coach Job Description
(Age Group Lead Coach)
The Great Lakes Tritons Swim Team is looking for an energetic motivated coach to work with Developmental/Novice level swimmers and assist the Head Age Group Coach in various ways. GLT is a competitive, year-round, USA Swimming club swim team that is based out of Macomb County, Michigan. Our team consists of over 150+ swimmers ranging in age from 5-18. We have six different training groups, each designed to meet the specific needs of its swimmers.
Coaches must have an outgoing personality, energetic and have a growth mindset that works well with our swimmers, other coaches, and parents. Our swim club, coaches, and Board of Directors are committed to making our athletes better swimmers and people. GLT is looking for individuals that can help support and further this mission. Looking for a dynamic person who wants to create ownership and excitement for young, beginner age-group swimmers. Build passion for the sport of swimming.
- Chippewa Valley High School
- Dakota High School
- L’Anse Creuse High School
- L’Anse Creuse North High School
- Serve as Age Group Lead group coach, filling in for other groups as needed.
- Work with the Head Coach to plan seasonal training plans.
- Plan and lead daily practice for Development/Novice Groups.
- Coach at evening practices and most weekend swim meets.
- Provide a safe and enthusiastic practice for the young athletes.
- Keep record of practice sessions and swimmer attendance.
- Deliver regular reports to the Head Coach on the progress of the group.
- Establish and maintain communication with swimmers and their parents.
- Attend competitions as assigned by the Head Coach.
- Create a positive team environment conducive to learning and fun.
- Assist the Head Coach in finalizing meet entries for the group responsible.
- Develop a season plan inclusive of swim meets, team building activities, parent communication and milestones that you expect to achieve for each group.
- Complete swim meet entries in a timely manner taking into consideration the individual needs of each swimmer entered in the meet.
- Attend swim meets that include the participation of swimmers that you coach.
- Coordinate goal meetings with each swimmer and align coach/swimmer goals for the season.
- Attend monthly coach’s meetings and share best practices.
Description of Development/Novice Groups:
Development/Novice Groups will focus on teaching the competitive swimming skills and stroke technique of the swimmer. Planning stroke teaching progressions and following the Group Curriculum will adding more to the instruction is expected.
Practice schedule: 3 days a week. At minimum 45mins (Dev) 1.5hrs (Nov) per day.
Ages: 6-13yrs old.
- 18 years old with High School Diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years of competitive coaching experience.
- Advanced Knowledge of all four competitive swimming strokes.
- An advanced understanding of stroke rules, disqualifications is expected.
- Current Lifeguard, CPR, First Aid certification (or willing to obtain quickly, prior to working with swimmers).
- Willing to obtain USA Swim Coaches safety training.
- Must complete and pass criminal background check.
- Willingness to work weekend shifts at practices and swim meets.
- Exhibit leadership skills and a passion for working with children.
- ASCA Level 2 is preferred
- Hourly, based on experience.
- Approved expense reimbursement for travel
- Scheduled hours are based on experience and coaching ability.