This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director and within the policies established by the Wallingford Family YMCA, the Aquatics Lifeguard & Safety Coordinator is responsible for planning and delivering of Lifeguard in-service trainings, conducting staff evaluations, and weekly scheduling for lifeguard staff. The Aquatics Lifeguard & Safety Coordinator will supervise Lifeguard staff ensure the highest quality and safety for all members and program participants. Weekend and daytime hours required in coordination with the Director.
Uphold and exemplify high standards of customer service.
- Assist in recruitment, training, development, and evaluation of aquatics staff.
- Coordinate substitute procedures for staff; record all changes and maintain up-to-date staff schedule. Be accountable for coverage of all assigned lifeguard shifts.
- Supervise aquatic staff in the absence of the Aquatics Director.
- Ensure records of staff certification are current and complete.
- Guard and/or teach in the absence of a scheduled lifeguard or swim instructor as necessary.
- Provide direct service as a lifeguard and/or swim instructor as needed.
- Assist with leadership at all lifeguard/swim instructor in-service trainings and meetings, including evaluations of swim instructors.
- Coordinate and schedule lifeguard shifts.
- Be professional, courteous, alert and diplomatic. Guard all swimmers; eliminate unsafe practices and physical hazards
- Maintain general pool rules
- Administer proper first aid and carry out emergency procedures in the event of an accident
- Participate as a part of the Aquatics staff team in providing a safe and enjoyable environment
- Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Answer questions and explain aquatics programs to the public, including answering emails, voicemails, and in-person inquiries.
- Provide training and guidance to new lifeguard staff.
- Assist with evaluation of lifeguard staff for Initial Reviews (within the first 90 days)
- Work the opening pool shift at least 3 mornings per week
- Keep informed of all changes in the schedule and upcoming events
- Gather information and prepare reports as directed.
- Participate on at least one committee within the YMCA or community.
- Create and run at minimum one Aquatic Safety & Awareness event per year.
- Participate in and/or volunteer for at least one Community Support Campaign event per year.
- Inspect and ensure high standards of maintenance, cleanliness, and repair of aquatic equipment and supplies, including first aid supplies.
- Test and manage pools in accordance with Wallingford Family YMCA policies and guidelines, including, but not limited to, chemical levels and emergency situations.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working in the Aquatics field
- Current Lifeguarding Certification and CPR/AED/First Aid Certifications required
- YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor Certification, Pool Operator Certification, Lifeguard Management Certification within 6 months of hire
- Red Cross Lifeguard Trainer Certification preferred
- Additional training must be completed as required by the State and/or Federal Government.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation or a related field preferred
- Good communication skills; Leadership skills are imperative.
- Must be 21 years or older.
- Must exhibit the core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility in all aspects of work with the YMCA.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work for extended periods of time in an aquatics environment.