Oct 10, 2018
Midnight Sun Swim Team The Midnight Sun Swim Team (MSST), in Fairbanks, Alaska historically hosts an average of 120 youth swimmers ranging in skill level from beginner to competitive collegiate athlete. With the goal of positioning youth to compete in and out of the pool, our community-based team is committed to helping all levels of swimmer reach their full potential.
MSST is seeking an Executive Director/Head Coach to lead our program. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic leader with experience in club coaching who will foster an inclusive team culture across age groups. The Executive Director/Head Coach will lead the development of our organization, the coaches, and swimmers in support of our year-round developmental and competitive swim program.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Executive Director/Head Coach is responsible for the leading coaching and overall programming of Midnight Sun Swim Team in a manner consistent with the Board’s direction and agreed-on Club philosophy. This position is responsible for creating and executing a successful strategy for all levels of swimmers and organizing a qualified coaching staff to conduct the swimming program. The Executive Director/Head Coach will have responsibility for coaching at least one practice group and performing administrative duties as assigned by the Board.
Desired Skills and Characteristics: ● Strong leadership skills to engage children and adults ● Kind and fun attitude toward swimmers of all skill levels ● Collaborative spirit and willingness to learn ● Strong verbal and written skills ● Proficient in Microsoft Office, or similar programs ● Knowledge of Team Unify platform
Additional responsibilities include:
1. Develop, design and implement a coaching program that ensures consistent standards across the entire team, with emphasis on stroke technique, physical conditioning, and competitive success.
2. Create appropriate training programs, and periodically evaluate and ensure that progress towards goals are made.
3. Work closely with assistant coaches to develop an integrated and consistent program for age group and developmental swimmers with an emphasis on stroke technique.
4. Help each swimmer develop short and long-range goals and motivate them to reach their goals.
5. Develop strength and flexibility program for all practice groups as appropriate.
6. Attend meets with MSST swimmers registered and be responsible for other coach(es) attending all other meets with MSST swimmers. Ensure coaching staff is on deck at all meets.
7. Provide a time and/or opportunity for communication with parents and swimmers regarding personal goals and MSST’s program.
1. Be responsible for supervising, mentoring and evaluating the coaching staff.
2. Be responsible for hiring and, if necessary, terminating coaching staff.
3. Recruit qualified coaching staff.
4. Provide an annual evaluation no later than the end of May for each assistant coach utilizing written evaluation forms.
1. Responsible for preparing the team schedule for workouts and meets for the year and keeping the Board abreast of any changes to the schedule.
2. Negotiate with local Parks and Recreation Departments and pools for lane time.
3. Retain full oversight for any administrative duties delegated to coaches.
4. Attend all Board meetings and provide written recommended actions for Board consideration.
5. Assist swimmers in researching and understanding potential collegiate swimming opportunities; and provide individualized written and/or verbal recommendations as requested and appropriate.
6. Maintain positive and cooperative relations with all local, state, and national swimming and community organizations, including local high school and summer league coaches.
7. Represent MSST and Northern Area Aquatics, as well as our Section of USA swimming by active participation in the LSC.
8. Provide coach input and content for club communications as needed
9. Work closely with the Board to ensure that all Club administrative activities are effectively carried out.
10. Coordinate and/ or delegate administration of entries for swims meets.
11. Work with the MSST Board of Directors to develop and carry out MSST policy per the MSST handbook.
1. Develop and supervise all stroke and turn work provided by coaching staff to promote high quality technical development of all swimmers.
2. Establish frequent communications to team on a variety of topics such as updates, training tips, meet preparation, injury prevention, nutrition etc.
3. Promote and maintain positive club morale and maintain club discipline.
4. Maintain positive relationships with other local and statewide teams and USA swimming.
5. Strive to maximize the potential and development of each swimmer in a supportive atmosphere.
6. Will participate in Board initiated annual evaluation and mid-year check-ins of Executive Director/Head Coach job performance.
7. Attend at least one USA Swimming sponsored continuing education course annually. This will be paid for by the club.
1. 5-7 years of Coaching experience preferred.
2. ASCA Level 3-4 Certification or equivalent experience is strongly preferred.
3. Experience in building an organizational model, processes and inclusive culture that supports a multi-site operation.
4. Strong leader and developer of swimmers and coaches – both in and out of the water.
5. A proven track record for inspiring excellence at all skill levels with strong skills in development and motivational techniques.
6. Seasoned experience in designing, implementing and evolving training and conditioning programs to support multiple levels of athletes.
7. Strong skills in community building and outreach.
8. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships within the aquatics community.
9. Solid planning and administration skills.
10. Certifications in Lifesaving, First Aid, CPR. Compensation
This is a year-round, full-time salaried position offering health insurance stipend, with compensation based on qualifications and experience.
How to Apply: Email cover letter and resume, including three references to MSST Board President John Cook: firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled.
Midnight Sun Swim Team
Fairbanks, AK, USA