I have a depth of coaching experience that is based on a transformative leadership style with highlights that include work at the Olympic Training Center, Assistant Coach for the Sydney Paralympics, and teaching undergraduate courses in Motor Learning and Psychological Aspects of Coaching at the University of Minnesota Duluth.
I believe in facilitating change through passion and perseverance. I have fostered a positive culture of empowerment by making sure everyone feels like they belong, they matter, and they have the ability to control their own outcomes.
A brief summary of my swimming and coaching experience includes the following:
-Nicolet High School Men’s Swim Team - Captain
-UW Eau Claire Men’s Swim Team - Captain, Hardest Worker, Most Inspirational
-Chippewa Falls H.S. Boy’s- Girl’s Swim Team/Head Coach
-U.S. Olympic Training Center (USOC) - Swim Coach, Paralympic Assistant Coach
During my tenure at the USOC, I had the good fortune to assist as an understudy to some the most prolific coaches in US Swimming’s past and present:
Jonty Skinner - USA Swimming Dir. National Team Technical Support (whole brain and body engagement)
Jimi Flowers - USA Swimming National Team Director (serving others with compassion and care)
Jon Urbancheck - University of Michigan Men's Swimming and Diving Head Coach (training the energy system as well as the individual)
Responsible for all aspects of club operation including work out plans, Assistant Coach
development, communications, stroke development, and swimmer recruitment. Increased club
membership and improved quality of all aspects of the operation.
• Communicated a clear vision of hard work, integrity, and commitment leading to substantial
improvements in team culture and ethic.
• Improved stroke mechanics of all participants using the latest research and techniques.
• Created staff development curriculum using American Swim Coaches Association materials
and educational philosophy.
Over saw the training and race preparation of elite Paralympic swimmers and substitute
coached for various elite able-bodied athletes. Coordinated aquatic center staff, budgets,
schedules, and resources to ensure the proper functioning of the center.
• Directly coached three elite Paralympic athletes and achieved two gold medals, six silver
medals, and three bronze medals at the Sydney Paralympic Games.
• Assisted the Sydney Paralympic Swim Team to achieve a record number of medals and set
more National and World Records than ever before.
• Adapted race techniques and strategies to help athletes with varying abilities achieve
• Assessed the appropriateness and feasibility of adding more athletes to the Paralympic
University of Minnesota Duluth
Head Coach Lake Superior Swim Club