Posting Date: July 24, 2018
Position: Head Coach
Club: Lyons Aquatics
Location: Illinois - LaGrange and Western Springs
Reports to: Board of Directors
Lyons Aquatics is a year-round comprehensive, competitive swim program located in Western Springs and LaGrange, Illinois. Lyons Aquatics offers a competitive swim team, Masters Swim Team, water polo, and dive programs to the members of our community. Our mission is to develop the abilities of community members in all aspects of aquatic sports by providing quality instruction, opportunities for competition, an atmosphere that fosters respect for oneself and others, good sportsmanship, and personal excellence.
Lyons Aquatics is one of the premier swim clubs in Illinois. We currently have 430 Age Group swimmers, 48 Masters swimmers, 30 divers and 66 Water Polo players. We utilize two pools at the local community high school, Lyons Township, which features a 6 lane 50-meter pool at Lyons Township High School (South Campus) and a 6 lane 25 yard facility at Lyons Township High School (North Campus).
We are seeking a Head Coach to oversee all aspects of our aquatic programs, including direct coaching responsibilities. The overall objective of the position is to continue to guide and grow our swimming program to produce the highest attainable levels of competitive excellence in individual and team performance. It is expected that the Head Coach will foster positive relationships, mentor as appropriate, and communicate well with their coaching staff, swim team members, parents and the club’s Board of Directors. The Head Coach must develop the skills and talents of the team members and coaching staff while promoting teamwork, sportsmanship and encouraging personal development and excellence. The Head Coach will also be expected to work in partnership with Lyons Township High School pool management, Illinois Swimming and other valued stakeholders.
- Serve as the overall Head Coach for the team’s competitive swim program
- Design and implement a training program that ensures consistent standards across team levels with emphasis on stroke technique, physical conditioning and competitive success
- Oversee Diving, Masters and Water Polo programs
- Manage day-to-day operating issues, including (but not limited to):
- Facilities procurement with Lyons Township High School
- Organize weekly staff meetings and provide feedback to coaches
- Plan team practice schedules and meet schedules, including team and coaches travel, meet entry assignments, and other meet administrative duties
- Evaluate training plans with the age group lead coaches to encourage swimmers to develop short and long-range goals
- Plan and lead parent meetings
- Organize and manage all coaching and administrative staff assignments, responsibilities and career development, including:
- Review and evaluation of staffing levels
- Assignment and delegation of duties
- Supervisory and evaluation responsibilities of coaches
- Develop training plans for coaches’ development
- Manage all hiring and personnel decisions for coaching staff
- Required to travel periodically with athletes to “away” meets.
- Attend Board meetings and provide monthly reports
- Finance responsibilities including:
- Assist in preparation of an annual operating budget with the business manager.
- Implement and manage expenditures in accordance with approved budget.
- Review and obtain Board approval for any required changes to budget.
- Communication responsibilities to team as well as Board, coaches, parents, LSC and public relations:
- Provide communication on a variety of topics including training tips, meet preparation, injury prevention, nutrition, college recruitment, etc.…
- Assist swimmers in understanding potential college swimming opportunities and provide individualized recommendations (either verbal or written) as requested.
Mental Requirements, Attitude and Approach:
- Must possess vision for Lyons Aquatics and the ability to maintain and communicate that vision through all swim levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communications as well as demonstrated ability in fostering teamwork
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to deal effectively with all levels of employees, club members, athletes, parents, Board members and outside personnel
- Acts as a role model for swimmers with a positive, proactive manner which inspires and support the athletes
- Up-to-date on latest coaching techniques through research and/or continuing education through USA Swimming or ASCA
- Strong understanding of overall balance of training for distance and sprint, taper techniques, both in water and dry-land, for all age groups and strength/conditioning work throughout the entire program
- Ability to develop and implement a cohesive vision and coaching philosophy throughout the program, building swimmers from novice through senior levels
- Encouraging athletes to strive for their personal best
Knowledge, Skills and Other Qualifications:
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in swim coaching
- Competitive swimmer experience at college or nationals level a plus
- Experience in the development, implementation, and execution of a comprehensive competitive swim program
- Current USA Swimming Coaching Certification
- ASCA Level 4 or 5 Coaching Certification or equivalent experience strongly preferred
- Familiarity with ACTIVE Hy-tek Swim Management programs as well as Daktronics Timing System
- Must pass USA Swimming and Lyons background check and drug test requirements
- Required to maintain USA Swimming coach certification, including first aid and life-saving requirements
- Compensation Range- $65,000-$80,000
- Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes bonus based on performance criteria and stipend for health insurance.
Candidates should email a copy of their resume, highlighting relevant work experience and education, along with three professional references to Lyons Aquatics Board at email@example.com. Application materials received prior to August 13, 2018, will receive primary consideration.
Review of applications will begin immediately but the position will remain open until it is filled by the best candidate.