Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in historic Jacksonville, Illinois, 85 miles north of Saint Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois State Capital. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. Illinois College promotes academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity through an increasingly diverse student population. The College develops in its students’ qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
The primary function of the Assistant Coach is to assist the Head Coach in all program operations, including recruiting, retaining and coaching members of the Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Teams. The Assistant Coach is responsible for day-to-day coaching responsibilities and is expected to meet recruiting and retention goals. This position will also assist the Head Coach on the coordination of travel, meet management, equipment management, swim lessons, and fundraising.
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
- Recruit, retain and graduate successful student-athletes
- Assist in executing recruiting strategies to meet the recruitment and retention goals set by the College
- Collaborate with Head Coach on ensuring academic performance and personal development of student-athletes is in alignment with institutional and program goals
- Assist the Head Coach with all operations of running a successful swimming and diving program
- Demonstrate high level of intercultural competence and the ability to work with diverse population
- Maintain a high level of professionalism on and off the field toward student athletes, other coaches, parents, administrators, and members of the community
- Adhere all Illinois College, Midwest Conference and NCAA rules and regulations
- Attend regular athletic and admission staff meetings
- Assume additional administrative responsibilities within Athletics Department, as assigned by the Director of Athletics
- Bachelor’s degree, required
- Intercultural competency; ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Able to develop and maintain collaborative relationships, engage in creative problem-solving, and extend enlightened hospitality when working with others.
- Valid driver’s license and evidence of insurability, required
- Relevant coaching experience at the NCAA level, Division III, preferred
- Recruiting experience at the collegiate level, Division III, preferred
- Must understand and value the liberal arts experience for students at Illinois College, especially including participation in other sports, clubs and organizations, and having an academic experience
- First Aid and AED certification, preferred
- Ability to work weekdays, weekends, and some evenings
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Possess an outcomes-oriented approach to coaching
- Ability to lift 30 pounds